Did you ever want a Linux operating system on Windows? If yes, then you can have it in reality because of a partnership between a parent company of Ubuntu, known as Canonical and Microsoft. Recently Microsoft announced that the Bash Shell would be available for windows, and the majority of users couldn’t believe in this news, as the trend took twitter by storm trending the hashtag #BashonWindos.
Initially, you were unable to have Bash Shell on Windows 10 unless you install it. For this, You were required to install the Windows 10 technical preview in order to install Linux on Windows 10. But after the anniversary upgrade of Windows 10, it isn’t the case, because the upgrade allows you to get Bash Shell on Windows 10 comfortably.
This article is all about Windows 10 Bash Shell, and you will know everything you want to know about it.
What is Windows 10 Bash Shell?
Before proceeding to have Windows 10 Bash Shell, you should know what it is? It is not a virtual machine, a Linux app like Cy.gwin, or a container; instead, it delivers a full subsystem dedicated to Linux to run Linux software. It is a complete Linux system inside your Windows 10 operating system.
Windows 10 Bash Shell enables users to use the very same Bash Shell you use on Linux, which means you can run Linux commands within Windows 10 without the requirement of installing a virtual machine, as well as a dual-boot Windows and Linux.
Installing Linux within Windows 10 is the same as you install any other app on your Windows 10 operating system. This is a great idea to learn Unix and Linux commands.
Benefits of Windows 10 Bash Shell
Windows 10 Bash Shell has various benefits. This latest update enables you to run compatible command-line tools within your Windows 10. As compared to a virtual machine, Windows 10 Bash Shell requires very few system resources and allows you to have access to both the Windows and Linux tools at a time.
Windows 10 Bash Shell is mainly a useful tool for system administrators and developers who works on open-source projects. Below are some key highlights of its advantages.
- Supported command-line utilities to run shell scripts.
- Support to run NIX command-lines, such as SED, AWK, and GREP.
- Browse and manage file system using Windows 10 Bash Shell.
- Experience various NIX tools, such as Ruby, Python, Git, and more.
- MySQL, Apache HTTP Server, and various other server tools support.
How to Install Windows 10 Bash Shell?
Installing Windows 10 Bash Shell on your operating system is an easy process, but it requires a 64-bit processor and Windows 10 Anniversary Update (14393 or latest).
Check Your System Requirements
You can check your system requirements by following these steps;
- Go to the Settings menu from your computer.
- Click on the System option.
- Now click on About option.
- Now, look at the OS Build and System Type information.
If your system meets the requirements as mentioned above, you are ready to install Windows 10 Bash Shell.
Installing Windows 10 Bash Shell
To install Windows 10 Bash Shell, follow these steps;
- Open the Settings menu from your computer
- Now click the Update and Security option.
- Now choose the For Developers option.
- Choose Developer Mode located under the Use Developer Features option.
- A message window will appear asking you to Turn on Developer Mode? Click on Yes option.
- After that, your operating system will search and install the developer mode.
Ignore the error saying Developer Mode Package Failed to Install because Windows 10 Bash Shell will get install on your system.
Enabling the Windows 10 Subsystem for Linux
Enabling Windows 10 Subsystem for Linux is optional. If you want to allow it to, you need to perform these steps;
- Type Turn Windows Features On or Off in the search box of your windows 10.
- When the option appears, click on it to open it.
- Now scroll down and locate Windows Subsystem for Linux option and check the box to select it.
- Now click on Ok option.
- After Windows 10 Subsystem for Linux installation is completed, restart your computer if required.
- Again type CMD in the search box of your Windows 10 search bar. It will open the Command Prompt feature.
- Now type Bash in the command prompt and hit the Enter key from your keyboard.
- Now type Y and accept the license terms.
- Windows 10 Subsystem for Linux will now download and install, and you will see a shortcut of it in the Start Menu.
- Now that Windows 10 Bash Shell is installed, you are required to create a UNIX username and password.
How to Use Windows 10 Bash Shell
After installing Windows 10 Bash Shell on your system, you can use it with root and full access permissions. Your C drive is located n the /mnt/c directory in Windows 10 Bash Shell.
Windows 10 Bash Shell is the same as NIX systems and is also case sensitive, such as the names Win, WIN, and WIN are all different.
Windows 10 is the latest and most popular Microsoft operating system, which comes with incredible features. Now it is a reality to use Linux goodies in your Windows 10 operating system using the Bash Shell Anniversary Update.
If you don’t know what is Windows 10 Bash Shell is and how you can install and use it on your Windows 10 system, then this article will help you to understand all the things you want to know regarding Windows 10 Bash Shell. If you find this post useful, let us know in the comment section below.
Below are frequent questions asked by multiple users;
Q: What are the requirements for installing Windows 10 Bash Shell?
Ans: Windows 10 Bash Shell required a 64-bit process along with Windows 10 Anniversary Update (14393 and later). If your computer or laptop fulfills these requirements, you can install Windows 10 Bash Shell on your system.