Are you worried about your windows 8 operating system space? Do you want to increase a bit of space by deleting temporary files? This post will explain how to delete temporary files in Windows 8.
No matter what Windows version you use, you have to be aware of Windows temporary files. But what temporary files are and from where they come from? Temporary files are actually useless and vain files that your Windows operating system produce during operations, or when you finish working on a task.
There is no harm removing temporary files in Windows 8. In fact, we should check temporary files from time to time in Windows 8 to remove them or occupy a considerable amount of your hard drive.
Moreover, if you don’t delete temporary files in Windows 8 for an extended period of time, they will keep building up and affect your system performance. As a result, your system will run with a snail speed, which is something you don’t want to happen at any cost.
Here, I will explain how to delete temporary files in Windows 8 operating system in three different ways. In fact, Windows 8 come equipped with a Disk Cleanup tool, which is a great way to delete unwanted and useless files from your system.
So, let’s see how to delete temporary files in Windows 8.
How to remove temporary files in Windows 8 Using Disk Cleanup?
You can use the Disk Cleanup utility tool to delete temporary files in Windows 8, which is a simple way to free up some hard drive space. Here is how you can do that;
- Move the cursor on your Windows 8 screen to find the Search icon. Alternatively, you can use the shortcut key to find it by pressing Window key + F to find it out.
- Once you reach in the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and press Enter.
- Now it will search the Disk Cleanup tool and show you in results.
- Once you see the searched results, find and click on the option that reads Free Up Disk Space by Cleaning Unnecessary Files.
- Now you will see a dialog box that reads, Disk Cleanup: Drive Selection.
- Select the Disk Drive that you want to clean. The majority of people install Windows in C drive. If you have also installed the Window in C drive, select it from the dropdown list.
- Now, another checkbox will open, where you will see multiple checkbox options.
- Select all the checkboxes and click the OK button.
- A confirmation box will appear before the start of the process.
- Click the Delete Files button to start cleaning up the drive.
- Wait until the cleanup process complete.
How to Delete temporary files in Windows 8 Through Drive C Properties?
Although the above-mentioned process is pretty easy and simple to delete temporary files in Windows 8, there is another way that you can use to remove temporary files in Windows 8. Here is how to delete temporary files in Windows 8 through C drive properties.
- Go to the Window to find the drive Window.
- Once you open the drives Window, right-click on the drive where the Windows is installed. The majority of users install the Window in C drive, so right-click on the C drive.
- Now from the options, click on the Properties option.
- It will open the drive properties, where you will see the Disk Cleanup option.
- Click on the Disk Cleanup option.
- A dialog box will appear with multiple checkbox options.
- Tick all the checkboxes and click OK.
- Click Delete Files to confirm the operation.
- The process will start.
How to Delete temporary files in Windows 8 Using Windows Explorer?
You can also use Windows Explorer to delete temporary files in Windows 8. Here is how to do that;
- Go to the start menu and input %temp% in the search box.
- Press Enter key from the keyboard.
- It will open the Temp folder where all of your temporary files and folders are stored.
- From the View tab, click the Hidden Items option.
- Now select all the files and folders using the mouse. Alternatively, you can use shortcut key CTRL+A that will select all the folders and files.
- Now, if you right-click and then click the delete option, the files will be deleted from the Temp folders, but they will be stored in the Recycle Bin.
- So, instead of clicking on the Delete option, select all files and folder by pressing CTRL+A and then hit the SHIFT+DELETE keys from the keyboard.
- Now, these temporary files will be permanently removed from your computer.
Microsoft Windows 8 has some exceptional features that give us a great user experience. If you were running Windows 8 operating system on your computer and annoyed with its slow speed or worried about free space, you can delete unused and vain files to free up some space. It has a Disk Cleanup utility tool that you can run to clean up the hard drive. Above, I have started a comprehensive guide on how to delete temporary files in Windows 8 using different methods. For further assistance, feel free to leave a comment below.
Q: How can I select all files in once using a shortcut key?
Ans: Regardless of what Windows version you have on your computer, you can select all the files at once using the CTRL+A shortcut key.
Q: Does removing temporary files in Windows 8 help to free up some space?
Ans: Yes, you should remove temporary files in Windows 8 to free up some space.