Because of Chromebooks‘ easy-to-use and straightforward nature, millions of people using it. But not every powerful feature of a Chromebook is easy to access. It features numerous powerful tools that are waiting to be used to its full potential, and once you know a few tips, you will feel like you are getting even more value out of your inexpensive computer. In this article, we will collate a list of some tips for you to try on your Chromebook so you can start making the most of your computer. But before that, we will discuss what Chromebook is? What are its uses? And what are the benefits?
What is Chromebook?
Chromebooks are built to run a lightweight operating system that is intended to help with some productivity tasks and mostly handle light computing ones such as streaming videos, browsing the internet, and playing games. In simple words, Chromebooks are generally some of the most lightweight and most affordable laptops.
A Chromebook operating system is the same desktop Chrome browser we have used with our Windows PC and Mac. It means anything we could do on Windows, Mac, or in Chrome, we can do in the Chrome operating system. Chrome operating system is actually a browser that also happens to run an entire computer. It has some extras that make it more than just a browser.
Benefits of Chromebook
Are Chromebooks good enough for what you want to do with your laptop? Below are some of the main features that attract people to a Chromebook instead of a Mac or Windows computer.
- Price: Many Chromebooks cost considerably less than an average laptop. That makes them a very appealing proposition for budget-conscious shoppers.
- Speed: Chromebooks can boot up and be ready to utilize in a matter of a few seconds. They do this because of their SSD HDs and the lightweight Chrome operating system.
- Security: The Chromebook operating system features built-in malware and virus protection that is always updated, so users never need to worry about spam files using a Chromebook.
- Battery: Chromebooks battery has an extended life up to 13-hours, which is much more than standard Windows laptops, though several newer Windows devices are reaching to that level.
- Parental Controls: Chromebooks features Parental Controls option, and users can create supervised accounts to limit or track activities for their little ones online. This feature makes Chromebooks a highly recommended family-friendly device.
- Cloud Storage: All new Chromebooks offer up to 100 GB Google Drive storage for two years, which is a considerable amount of space. OneDrive and Box subscription cost additional. With Chromebook, users get a significant amount of cloud storage without paying a single penny.
- Sync: Chromebook laptops sync all apps and passwords with Chrome browsers on other devices. If you use the Chrome browser on a home computer or at work, your bookmarks and other preferences will automatically sync to Chromebook.
- Android Apps: Touch screen Chromebooks that are introduced in 2017 or later have the ability to run Android apps. This combination of Android and Chrome operating system enhances the performance of a Chromebook, which means users can use Android apps by Microsoft, Adobe and other to play games, edit and create files, or stream videos, music, and movies.
Below we have collated a list of useful tips and trick for Chromebook to maximize productivity;
Use Third-Party DNS
There are numerous reasons to use a third-party Domain Name Server when you are on the web. Some say they are more secure; some say they are faster, and it’s the best way to get around any silly content block that may be in place on the servers of the people who offer you internet. Using third-party DNS on a Chromebook is simple by following below steps;
- Open Chromebook setting page
- Press the name of the network you want to modify
- A window will open, select the Network tab
- At the bottom, select the name of the server you want to use
- You will see automatic and Google option
- You can enter manually if you know precisely what you want
Chromebook features a built-in overview feature that enables users to see every open window at a glance. This function is similar to Mac and equally useful. you can do this by following the below steps;
- On the top row of the keyboard press ]] key or swipe down using three fingers on your trackpad to enter into overview.
- Click any of the thumbnails, and it will open a window.
- Clicking blank window will take you to the previous window you were viewing
- If there is a lot of windowed apps running, this feature can save a whole lot of time
You can also type to filter out what you are viewing. For instance, typing MS Word” will only display windows with the word MS Word.
Set a Pin
As Chromebook is deeply connected with a Google account, and before accessing anything, a user has to enter the password each time. It is a very tiring process, and using the pin feature can save much more time. You can set a pin easily by following below steps;
- Open Chromebook settings page
- Open screen lock and sign-in from the quick settings menu
- Under the You and Google option, enter your password for the last time
- Set a six-digit pin code
Enabling Offline Mode
Enabling offline mode on a Chromebook for Google Drive and Docs, you need to install the offline extension first. When done, follow below-stated steps;
- Enable Offline mode by checking the box
For making a particular document offline, you can
- Go to the Files menu
- Check the box for Make available offline
- Make sure to modify all settings while you have an internet connection
Chromebook Master Search
This feature is the best part of a Chromebook, and Google search is integrated across the system and the web. To do this, you need to follow these steps;
- Press the dedicated search option on the keyboard
- Start typing
- Press Enter
You don’t need to open Chrome and then a new tab and then search for things. It doesn’t matter where you are under the setting page or in Chrome. This search button will open a result in a new Chrome tab immediately. Users can also search for settings and Chrome apps through this button.
Useful Shortcuts for Chromebook
There are uncountable keyboard shortcuts of the Chrome operating system. Below are some of the useful shortcuts that can help to navigate through the Chrome operating system.
- Search anything: Press search button
- Locking Chromebook: Press search + L
- Trigger Google Assistant: Press Search button + A
- Screenshot: Press CTRL + Overview button which is located above the six key
- Cheatsheet: Press Ctrl+Alt+?
- Delete: Press Alt+Backspace button
- Snapping Windows left or right: Press Alt + [ and Alt + ]
Sharing Chromebook Safely
Setting your Chromebook it feels like it is just locked for your personal account. The chrome operating system has an ability for any machine to work with any account. If someone wants your Chromebook for a quick research or something else, they can use the guest mode from the Chromebook lock screen. Upon signing out from guest mode, everything will be wiped out.
Adding Secondary Google Account Inside Existing ProfileProfile
The chrome operating system creates a new profile for every new account. Google has a feature to add a secondary account in an existing profile itself. You can add your secondary account by following below steps;
- Open settings page
- Above You and Google option, click on your name
- Click on Add account option
- Type new account credentials
The Chromebook features good security with automatic updates. It is a simple, more optimized, and low-cost option for people of basic needs. Its compatibility with Android gives it a new life and can run Android apps, web apps, and browse the internet. Above mentioned Chromebook tips can help you to navigate it better.
- DVDFab Review
- How To Use ThrottleStop
- Best CPU Temperature Monitor Tools
- How to Create a Separate SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz on Netgear Orbi
- Best Overlocking Software
- Best Aviation Apps
- What is VulkanRT
- Best Apps for Rooted Android in 2020
- Apps for Preschoolers
Below are most asked question by multiple users;
Q: Which is better, Chrome operating system or Windows 10?
Ans: Chrome operating system is much better than Windows 10. Chrome operating system users have their system updated continuously without a hitch, while Windows users wait for as long as possible to update their systems.
Q: Why Chromebooks are inexpensive?
Ans: Chromebooks are inexpensive for the fact that their operating system is free.
Q: Can you stream Netflix on Chromebook?
Ans: Yes, You can stream Netflix on a Chromebook through Netflix site or its app from the google play store.
Q: Can you take the print from a Chromebook?
Ans: Yes, you can take the print from a Chromebook using a printer with a Wi-fi or a wired internet connection. Additionally, you can use a USB cable to connect to a printer.